Texas Gardening and 15 Cool Raised Bed Garden Tips!

2014 spring garden

Hey y’all! No, I did not fall off the face of the earth, I’ve just been a little overwhelmed with our Raised Bed Garden! The gardening season is coming to a close as the temperatures are rising here. Whew!!! And I am looking forward to a break!  Texas gardening during the summer is just TOO DANG HOT!!! Makes me really miss my Fall Garden. Last week our temps were in the 100’s and we haven’t had rain since May 17th. Our Rain Water Catch System is gettin’ very low, hopefully we’ll get some rain soon and we won’t run out! I’m down to just the peppers and okra now. I’m sharing with you today my successes and what I’ve learned. Also along with Hometalk I am sharing 15 totally cool Raised Bed Garden Tips!

glassslipperrestorations1008

Just click on this photo and check out all 15 post for the details! In case you missed how we built our Raised Bed Garden click here for step by step details!

My #1 LESSON LEARNED

Must have a working watering system in place

(preferably with a solar pump, timer and drip irrigation)

When you have a 24’x24′ garden and only a Rain Water Storage Tank with a hose you will spend three hours every morning just wrestling with that dang hose moving it from one bed to the next! Let me explain, we have a Gravity Fed Irrigation System but our 1550 gallon tank sits only 2 feet off the ground so there is not enough pressure to support a drip irrigation system without the pump.

My #2 LESSON LEARNED

Too Much Too Soon!

(over excited new gardener downfall)

My#3 LESSON LEARNED

What in the heck will you do with all that produce?

(you learn how to store, freeze, can, cook, eat and share it!)

Texas gardening/1015 onions

Texas Gardening/Spring Garden

Texas gardening/pickling cucumbers

The zucchini did well, we ate it as fast as we produced it and I forgot to take pictures of them to share with you but the yellow squash only did so so. I had a ton of squash bugs and cucumber beetles to deal with! I’ve got to find a way to control them without spraying harmful chemicals on them. I’m trying to stay strickly organic here and hand picking to squish them all became a real challenge!

I’m happy with my results though some things didn’t make it.

The Green beans? These are suppose to be easy to grow maybe I got some bad seeds?

Carrots? I got a lot of pretty green tops but they were very thin and bitter (not enough water)

My Blueberries are barely hangin’ on but I don’t think they will make it through this heat (wrong variety)

Eggplant? Very bitter!!! (not enough water)

I’m still workin’ on getting the soil just right and I’ve learned alot about the bugs.

Still for my 1st year of gardening I’m feeling blessed!

I hope we can get the water system set up soon and I’ll be sure to share with you!

Don’t forget to take a look at all those Cool Raised Bed Gardens at Hometalk!

How did your garden do? Please leave comments below. Until next time 😉

Sharing with these fine folks

Kathy@The Chicken Chick

Kelli and John@The Sustainable Couple

Cindy@Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

Susan@Between Naps on the Porch

Linda@Coastal Charm

Brenda@Cozy Little House

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life

Kristin@My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Kammy@Kammy’s Korner

Stacy@Not Just a Housewife

Deb@Lavender Garden Cottage

Kim@Savvy Southern Style

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 1:02 am

Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY…
    Blessings,
    Cindy

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 8:36 am

Hi Cindy, thanks for fixin’ my photo at your party! Always enjoy your hosting! And thanks for the visit. Added your link, hope to send you some visiters as well!
      (((hugs)))
      Cindy

• Carole West August 11, 2014, 6:42 am

Thanks Cindy for sharing a couple of my raised bed ideas. Can’t remember where in Texas you are but I’m going to be in Fort Worth next week with Texas Home and Garden building a covered raised bed. (we’re giving it away to a lucky audience member – both days) Great post – always love it when you write!

Carole @ Garden Up green

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 8:42 am

Thank you Carole for sharing on Hometalk! Wish I could drive up to meet you in Fort Worth but it’s a 4-5 hour drive for me. Love your garden beds! Have fun!
      😉
      Cindy

• Patty August 11, 2014, 3:06 pm

Cindy I made a raised garden this year for the first time. In fact it was my first time having any kind of garden. I planted things and didn’t remember what I planted. I am amazed at what is growing. Next year I want another raised bed and I will label all my produce plants. I am having so much fun doing this. Please keep publishing because I need all the help I can get. Thanks again!

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 6:08 pm

Hi Patty, so glad to here about your new garden! It’s so rewarding when you can pick something fresh that you grew and prepare a meal! Enjoy! Here’s a tip for you, I keep a garden journal with a drawing of the layout, varieties I plant, etc. it’s very helpful when I plan for my next season. Have fun 😉
      Cindy

• Marty@A Stroll Thru Life August 11, 2014, 5:32 pm

Oh my goodness, your garden is fabulous and wow, so much wonderful food to harvest. Our garden is really small, but I do love to gather and cook fresh. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me.

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 6:21 pm

Hi Marty, sometimes I wish I had started out with a smaller garden, but to see a empty bed drives my nuts! I have to plant in everyone! I’ll get the hang of it over time! Thank you again for allowing me to share with you and all of your friends!
      (((hugs)))
      Cindy

• Kristina & Millie August 11, 2014, 6:49 pm

Some great tips and some yummy looking produce there! Will take a bit to surf around so thanks for sharing all of these gardening goodness in one post 🙂

• Cindy August 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

Your very welcome! Hope you will find inspiration for your garden! Enjoy! 🙂

• Marti August 12, 2014, 1:24 pm

You’ve got a lot going in your garden. Congratulations on a good year. I’ve enjoyed looking through your blog and seeing the amazing reconstruction of your house. I don’t think I would have tackled something in that shape. You have a great vision for it.

• Cindy August 13, 2014, 11:00 am

Hi Marti, thanks for taking the tour through my blog! Hahaha! I know most people would not have tackled this place and you should have seen the looks we got just showing it to family and close friends in the beginning! I’m sure they thought we had lost our minds! We got a great deal on the place and it was our dream and back then we had the energy and motivation to get it done. Believe me it hasn’t been easy and it has been rough on our relationship at times but we are not giving up! The energy level is not so high anymore and lack of funds can put the brakes on the motivation too! But now we are so close to being done we can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Then again with an old house in the country there will always be something to do. 😉 You know the sayin’ “here’s to the next fifty years” 🙂 Great name for your blog by the way Marti! Headin’ over to visit you.

• Elise @frugalfarmwife.com August 13, 2014, 7:33 am

Your pictures are so beautiful! I love the idea of raised be gardening, though I’ve never done it.

If I may ask, what part of Texas are you in? We’re in the process of moving to Central Texas, and I’d love to plant some blueberry bushes, but I think it’s going to take a lot of soil ammending to bring the PH down low enough. NOBODY there grows blueberries, and I guess that’s why. I’d sure love to hear of someone doing it before I become that “crazy blueberry lady”. 🙂

• Cindy September 26, 2014, 7:45 am

Hi Elise, thank you for noticing my pictures, I try my best to make them look good! I live in south central Texas between Houston and San Antonio. We love blueberries when I decided to give them a try in the garden, I did some research and found three varieties available from Burpee which are suppose to do well here. I planted them in 20 gallon pots and used mostly peatmoss which was recommended for the lower PH , I kept them watered but not wet and they were doing great! They had tripled in size during the winter and spring then once summer hit the first 96 degree day half killed them, I covered them to try to protect from the sun and wish I had moved them into the shade because the temperature soon rose above 100, two may be goners and one is barely hangin on. I will continue to keep them watered and hope the fall weather will bring them back, if they survive I will move them to a different location before next summer. I will let you know how they turn out. Oh also be sure to protect from deer if you are moving to a deer populated area. Louie, our pet deer tries to nibble on them every chance he gets so I have them surrounded by wire fencing. From one “crazy blueberry lady” to the next, I wish you safe travel to our great state and good luck with your blueberries! Feel free to email anytime you like, thanks for visiting and I love your comments.
      Cindy