Meet Louie… a pet Deer?

DSC03439gsr

I know I know, he is a wild animal and we are aware that he can turn at any time. Proceed with caution!!! But just look at him, look at those big brown eyes, how could you not love him?

The first time we met him, we were a little more cautious especially because he had a nice 8 point rack on him!! He is awesome and he has ruined my husband as a hunter, will he ever kill another deer?

He came out of the tree-lined creek which runs along side of our property. It was at the perfect moment, we had been watching the guys working on our fencing and one of them asked Gary if we see many deer around here and his answer was no, not lately then all of a sudden here comes this guy, he paused for a moment while we all stood and watched.

DSC02697pmgsr Once he turned his head we could see he had a bright orange tag in his right ear. I happened to have my camera in hand as I was taking photos of the fence work being done. So I began taking photos of him. Surprisingly he kept walking towards us, looking curiously, showing no signs of fear, he did not take off running, he just kept walking towards us.

DSC02699pmgsr

We were all amazed!

DSC02700gsr

He walked right up to the fence guy and let him pet him.

DSC02707gsr

Then he walked towards us and scratched his head against an old cast iron chair sitting next to the firepit.

DSC02709gsr

DSC02710gsr

Gary went and got some chicken scratch feed and the deer walked over to him and ate right out of his hand!

DSC02712gsr

DSC02714gsr I was shocked and amazed by this wild animal which obviously had been raised by people, he must be someones pet. But who’s? The tag did not have any information on it. We assume he was tagged to keep hunters from shooting him.

Gary took the camera while I fed and petted him. DSC02717gsr

DSC02718gsr

Then he followed Gary around the yard and he hung out for the rest of the evening and the next day he was gone.

DSC02719gsr

DSC02724gsr

IMAG0071gsr

Several months went by without a sign of him and we hoped he hadn’t been shot during the hunting season. We thought we may never see him again then one day he shows up again! This time without his horns. He is growing in a new set.

DSC03247gsr

He has been hanging around now for 8 weeks! We do not feed him. Gary named him Louie. We have had to add extra protection around all plants we do not want him to eat. He comes and goes as he pleases but we generally see him daily. He doesn’t mind our cats, or our chickens.

DSC03412gsr

He loves to be petted and he will even jump and run and play with Gary as if he was a big dog.

DSC03427gsr

DSC03429gsr

DSC03434gsr

DSC03436gsr

We will not try to keep him from being free. He roams the area alone and I think he may be lonely and misses his humans.  I wonder if he has any deer friends… I wonder how he gets along with other deer… He is safe here and as his new set of horns grow we will be very cautious around him. But for now, he is a pet. Louie… a pet Deer. 🙂

Sharing with these awesome gals

Deborah@Green Willow Pond

Alison@Nancherrow

Brenda@Cozy Little House

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life

Megin@VMG 206

• Dixie May 26, 2014, 6:17 pm

how neat

• Julia May 26, 2014, 9:35 pm

What a nice visitor. Maybe your local ODNR can give you some info on the orange tag. Louie must’ve gone through their tagging program?

• Cindy May 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Hi Julia, thanks for stoppin’ by, glad you enjoy our new litle friend. Here, we have Texas Parks and Wildlife, normally deer are taggged after they are killed. I may do a little digging to see if I can find out more info. Thanks again for your interest! 😉

• Martin May 27, 2014, 9:47 am

Incredible!
    I have often thought about Louie; so pleased he made through hunting season.

• Cindy May 27, 2014, 10:57 am

:), didn’t see him yesterday with all the rain but I am sure he will be back!

• Donna Roth May 27, 2014, 12:42 pm

Love the story of Louie and especially the pics of him playing. How cute! Maybe he will leave you his antlers when he sheds them. That would be a nice memory to have of him.

• Cindy May 29, 2014, 11:44 am

Hi Donna, thanks for replying! Yes, It would be nice to have his antlers as a keepsake! We will see….:)

• Lauren June 7, 2014, 12:11 pm

Hi Cindy,
    I have never seen a deer play like that with Gary! That is something. Life does present us wonderful gifts, like this deer’s friendship.

Just curious. I absolutely love comments, especially to read others. Your comments used to come up but haven’t seen them for awhile. Did you realize they are not showing up? I miss them.

Hope you are getting the rain in your cisterns. I was thinking of you in this last rainy season. It was wonderful. We topped off! Hope you did too.

• Cindy June 8, 2014, 12:26 am

Hi Lauren, so glad to hear from you :).Louie is awesome, like having a big dog!
      Yes, we have been blessed with the rain and our tanks are full! So glad your topped off as well, sweet of you to think of us.
      I recently changed my theme and it changed the comment viewing. I searched my theme settings and cannot see where I can change this. It looks like you have to click on the “calendar” in the sidebar for the related month of which the post was written to see the comments listed and then click on the comments or click open the related “category” for the comments list. I am not happy with this, too many clicks and a round about way to get there. I will do more research on this, thanks so much for bringing it to my attention.

• Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow June 30, 2014, 4:01 pm

Loved this story! 🙂

• Cindy July 2, 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks Deb! He’s sweet and amazing! Thank you so much for sharing on FB! Your Awesome!

• Grandma Kc June 30, 2014, 6:54 pm

Deb (from above) send me over via FB – so glad you she did! I love your little deer and what an amazing thing to have be in your life! When I was a very little girl living in Michigan there was an albino deer on the property — but only for 2 hunting seasons. We figure somebody got him but 60 years later I still remember him!

• Cindy July 2, 2014, 5:23 pm

Cool! I’ve never seen an albino deer! What a great memory for you! I’ll send a thank you to Deb! Thanks for stoppin’ by! 🙂

• Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) September 19, 2014, 2:26 pm

Cutest thing ever! I’m afraid I’d be at the local feed store looking for Deer Chow. lol Which probably isn’t a good idea…feeding him. He is adorable! I bet he is lonely, hope he meets a Miss Deer someday soon.

• Cindy September 26, 2014, 8:06 am

Oh thanks Susan, Louie is doing great! We live on 21 acres and next to a live creek so there is plenty of food and water for him. His new set of antlers have grown in completely now and the fall weather has made him a little frisky so we are very careful when petting him these days. We have seen him run off after a few doe but he always returns home, just hope and pray some hunter does not shoot him this season. He has been a blessing to have around. An amazing animal. Thanks for visiting. 🙂