First Fall Garden Results

DSC02667gsr

Hi y’all, with Spring on the way I will soon be planting again so today I wanted to share with you the results of my first Fall Garden if you missed the post at the beginning of the season and you’re in need of a short story I hope you will take a few minutes and read up here. I promise this post is not so long-winded.

Anyways, I am very pleased with the results, I planted  Broccoli, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Lettuce, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Celery, Asparagus, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Strawberries, and Blueberries. And a few herbs (thyme,oregano, parsley, cilantro, and sage) Once the weather cooled off and the bugs gone, things got so much better.

DSC02945gsr

Bright Lights Swiss Chard via www.glassslipperrestorations.com

Baby Broccoli via glassslipperrestorations.com

Did you know that the part of the broccoli we eat is actually the flower of the plant? And once you cut the main head off of the Broccoli if you let the plant continue to grow you will get baby broccoli (not the same as broccolini)?  This pic is the baby broccoli, I forgot to get a pic of the main head.

DSC03082gsr

Aint this the cutest head of cabbage you have ever seen? Our chickens have put out larger eggs than this!!!

DSC02493gsr

DSC03083gsr

Brussels Sprouts via glassslipperrestorations.com

Now the only thing is the Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, and Cabbage grew very small. I’m thinking maybe not enough fertilizer or soil amendments, although I read that organic produce is often not as large as non-organic produce because of the lack of chemicals. However the smaller produce is more tender and sweet.  It takes awhile to perfect the soil. I will work more organic matter in the garden soil before planting and see how my spring/summer harvest turns out.

The Asparagus seeds didn’t make it, the Carrots are still very small but hopeful, the Onions, Celery, Garlic, Strawberries and Blueberries are all doing well. The Lettuce, Swiss Chard and Spinach are still producing! I gave the Cauliflower to our neighbor and we ate ALL of the Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Cabbage. I have never tasted better veggies in my life!

I plan on planting Tomatoes, Green Beans, Corn, Okra, Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Eggplant and Peppers. Wish me luck!

Ps… to see more post on the garden just click on the Garden listed under Categories in the sidebar

Sharing with these sweet ladies

Deb@Lavender Garden Cottage

• Martin March 11, 2014, 10:44 am

Great post Cindy!
    Green Gate Nursery in Seguin sells a product called “Texas Tea.”
    It is a manure compost that seems to work very well for vegetables.
    Here is a little item I thought to share with you.
    Thanks!

• Cindy March 11, 2014, 8:35 pm

Thanks Martin, good to know, have you tried it? I called and found it is $28.00 for a 40lb. bag!!

• Martin March 11, 2014, 8:48 pm

Yes! My fruit trees really blew up with it, but I have not had a garden. However, an employee there directed my attention to a tomato plant that was loaded, and six feet high. Said it was the only thing they used. That was enough for me.

• deb March 11, 2014, 3:18 pm

Wow! Looks amazing…

• Marti March 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

Gorgeous veggies! I have never grown early spring vegetables like lettuce and broccoli. I never know when to plant it to harvest some before it gets hot and bolts.

• Vickie March 25, 2014, 10:49 pm

Your swiss chard, broccoli and brussels sprouts look lovely! So what that the cabbage is small – you can still eat it! Good luck with your spring garden!

• Cindy March 25, 2014, 10:55 pm

Oh yes, Vickie, it was actually my favorite, sweet and tender! Thanks

• Sheryl Simpson April 8, 2014, 12:51 am

Just stumbled across your page tonight looking at the rain water storage post….boy am I glad I did. I’m a Texas girl too, who left in 2007 to move to Louisiana and get married. I really do miss Texas. Thankfully my daughter & her husband live north of Grapevine and my son lives in Arlington so I get to take a trip home a few times a year. My heat leaps when I cross the LA/TX state line and tell my husband “yeah I’m back home on Texas soil”. I really enjoyed reading your posts. Spring is my favorite season…especially when everything comes alive again and turns green. Bluebonnets!! God must have created them first when it was time for plants. They are a true sign of spring. I am a procrastonator, with a long to due list. Daily I travel from room to room trying to get a little something done. But now that it’s spring I will be working on getting our vegie garden in this next week.

• Cindy April 8, 2014, 10:06 am

Hi Sheryl, So glad you stumbled in, My husband and I Love Louisiana (second to Texas)! If you come back for a visit, check out my Dining Room all dressed out in New Orleans style! We visit Oklahoma quite a bit and I too feel the same when we cross the border back into Texas.I just got my veggie garden planted and get so excited each morning to see how much things have grown overnite! It needs to get a little warmer though and I know they will take off, then I will take some pictures and share on the blog. Thanks for stoppin’ by and leaving your sweet comment. :)

• Kathy April 10, 2014, 11:20 am

What a great harvest! and all very beautiful specimens too. I’m growing some asparagus from crowns, they aren’t showing yet, but they do take a few years to get established. I had some on my allotment which would have been almost 3 years old, but someone bulldozed the bed as they had to reinforce the road. Typical.

• Cindy April 10, 2014, 10:18 pm

Hi Kathy, so glad you dropped by, I have read the asparagus does best planted from crowns! And I plan on trying this next time. Are you planting in the ground or in raised beds? Too bad about the established beds, Bullies! Good luck with your Garden! 😉 Cindy

• Kathy April 15, 2014, 4:33 pm

Hi Cindy. The new crowns are beginning to come up already, so worth paying the extra for them. I’m raising the beds but only through mulching, I’ve not done wooden edges this time. One flower bed has bricks and some have stones or logs on the edges. But mostly its one huge growing space with various layers of cardboard, compost, straw and grass, so its raised up a lot from what it was. We put stepping stones for access rather than paths. Thanks for you comments. :)