Designing the Living Room – first of a new series…

DSC03146gsr

Hey everyone, welcome to our home, I am so pleased to have many new readers, FB and Pinterest followers! Thank you all!

Here to let you in on a new series I am beginning. Now that I have completed painting all of the windows and doors we had to decide on which room next? The choices? Either Den/Office/Guest Room, the Bedroom or the Living Room.

The decision has been made to complete the Living Room ~whisper~I think Gary just wants to kick me out of his den… See the den has been used as our living room for quite some time, ever since we moved everything out of there to refinish the floors. ~whisper~Don’t tell him but I was hoping he would pick this room next, I am looking forward to this room being done especially now that we have our wood burning stove in there.

DSC02532gsr Just recently we had it  installed and it has been SO nice to burn fires this winter.  Except, the room is basically naked (not furnished) and it has been used as a work room and storage area so we haven’t been able to really enjoy it comfortably.

DSC02574gsr One lonely chair and small table, a great place to blog but not a comfy place for two. Once the living room is completed I hope it will be a warm inviting comfy place for all.

So far, the room has been emptied out as best it could (there are some items I will have to work around). I took measurements and drew up a floor plan. This is something I always do before I begin. I like to have a plan in mind of exactly how I will arrange the furniture. Then I decide on a color scheme and find inspiration for the design. Is this something you do as well? It’s kinda fun and reminds me a little of playing with paper dolls when I was a little girl. I draw up the floor plan on graph paper then I measure and cut out my furniture pieces and play “arrange the furniture” to fit the room best for function  and it also helps me realize what can work and what cannot work and I know up front what I still need to buy to finish the design.

The room is approximately 300 sq ft.  There is one fixed element ( the fireplace). There are five windows, three in the bay across from the entrance and two on the wall across from the fireplace. There are two door ways, one leading into the room from the entry hall, and one leads to our bedroom next to the fireplace (shown above in the upper right corner).

This room will be used for relaxing, tv watching, blogging and entertaining. I want it to have a casual but sophisticated feeling. I Love all the natural light in this room and I want it to remain light, bright and cheerful. So, my inspiration is the great outdoors! The floors are a warm chocolate-brown and the ceiling is Martha Stewart’s metallic gold. I chose the gold to connect with the gold in the hallway. Even though all my rooms are separate and different colors, they do connect to each other with color. One room compliments the other. I Love to bring the outdoors in, if my house were built all of glass, it would feel as if  we had no walls, that would be awesome! The walls are green, although I may change the wall color, (maybe just a lighter shade of the same green, I don’t know). I’ll decide on this later. The green is a paint color Gary originally chose for his den, but once we had it on the walls, we knew it was too light and then he chose a dark green, again we had this on the walls and it just didn’t feel right so he decided he loved the blue we painted on his ceiling and we painted the walls, for the third time, the same blue. And he Loves it!

Choosing paint colors can be tricky, sometimes you just can’t tell if you like it until you have it on the walls. Changing paint color is something you can do in one day at little cost. If it doesn’t feel right it probably isn’t. All of the trim is white and the fireplace is black. So we have a classic  color scheme; White, Black, Brown, Green and Gold with pops of an accent color (thinking pink) for the warmer seasons, and red during the cooler seasons. The accent color will be something that can be changed easily, used in the accessories like throw pillows, art, etc. I haven’t looked at rugs or any fabrics yet, I’ll get to that later.

I will be working with what we have, a very large sofa, a vintage vanity,  some old side tables and chairs and will keep an eye out at the thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, Craigslist, other peoples trash etc.Yes, I’m one of those who sees treasure in others trash. I need a rug, and lighting. I plan on painting the vanity and side tables and making the curtains and slip covers for the sofa and chairs, (I don’t sew, so this should be very interesting). Oh And I plan on designing and building an entertainment center using an old headboard (what?) I can’t wait to show you this, very excited and nervous at the same time. With very little building skills, this should be even more interesting.

But first things first, I have window sills and a whole lotta original trimwork to prep for installation.

Original Living Room Trim

There are 5 window sills, 5 sets of window trim, and 2 sets of door trim, including plinth blocks and corner blocks. They are full of nails, some old mini blind hardware and mud dauber nest. This pile of trim does not include the baseboard or the new crown and ceiling moulding. I’ll get all of this done first then gather the rest. So much to do, gotta get to it, hope you will watch for updates to this series. I would love to get some feedback, please leave your thoughts, ideas and questions below.

Are your currently designing a room in your home? Do you have suggestions for me? What do you think of my color scheme?

Check out these awesome parties

Common Ground, French Country Cottage, My Repurposed Life, The DIY Showoff, Savvy Southern Style, Pieced Pastimes, Not just a Housewife, Green Wilow Pond,

From My Front Porch To Yours

• Esther Goins February 26, 2014, 11:10 am

sounds very nice to me

• Esther Goins February 26, 2014, 11:11 am

like the color scheme

• Cindy February 26, 2014, 2:00 pm

I’m glad you like, thanks for visiting 🙂

• Arleen February 26, 2014, 12:16 pm

Hi. we are in the process of doing our master bathroom on a budget. Im in the process of painting the 6 foot vanity. When I went for paint at BM the man said the first coat is best if you wait 24 to 48 hours between coats. Im not the most patient person in the world, but thought I take his advice. Well, although the 48 hours almost killed me, the cabinet came out great!! So it’s true…Patients is a virtue!!!

Im enjoying your post so much. Enjoy your beautiful home.

• Cindy February 26, 2014, 2:03 pm

Thanks Arleen for reading and I truly enjoy your comments, thanks for sharing 😉

• Karen February 26, 2014, 3:41 pm

It sounds like you are off to a great start, Cindy. Using the furniture cut-outs on the floor plan is a helpful way to experiment with placement, sight-lines and traffic patterns and it sure beats moving everything all over the place for REAL (too much) :). Your color scheme sounds so pretty and just perfect for your home. The pink accents will be so bright. But first you’re going to get down to the business of stripping and reinstalling that window trim? Wow, what a job! Our last home had white painted traditional woodwork that I loved, but I have to admit that I’m not missing the woodwork painting in this house. 😉 I know your room will be spectacular when finished and I look forward to reading along.
    –Karen

• Cindy February 27, 2014, 9:14 am

Thanks for your sweet comment Karen, and I am thrilled you will be reading along. My first thought on the furniture placement was to place the sofa centered across from the fireplace, but it is really too big and I think it will be more of a focal point to draw you in sitting in the bay area. The window trim is going to be a tough job, but I think most will just need a good cleaning although some will have to be striped. UGH!

• Jann Olson February 26, 2014, 11:22 pm

I think it is going to be wonderful. I love a room filled with light! Just makes me want to hang out in there. Can’t wait to see it finished. Hubby and I (mostly hubby) are going to start putting bead board on the walls in my sewing room.
    hugs,
    Jann

• Cindy February 27, 2014, 9:20 am

I love bead board, you know I have it in my Bathroom and my Kitchen and our Front Porch ceiling too! It adds so much character! I know you will love it as well. I might need some sewing tips from you later, thanks so much for your sweetness.

hugs,
      Cindy

• Lauren April 8, 2014, 2:56 pm

Ahhhh….lists a mixed blessing. I Love them, and really don’t like them, though I have a constant running one on my fridge. Which by the way could use a good cleaning along with the entire house.

I start in one room, go get something I need and get distracted in another area. Now I have 2 projects going. This can go into many projects, and I have to finish them at some random place called DONE. Undone is no peace! This rat race continues endlessly. Are we missing something?

I love your pictures. This is such a beautiful time of year and you captured it.

Blessings
    Lauren

• Cindy April 8, 2014, 6:04 pm

Hahaha!! Oh I know what you mean my friend, thanks so much for joining! I do keep a list in the kitchen for my groceries because the last thing I want to do is drive 35 minutes to the grocery store and walk out of there forgeting something though always manage to buy more than what is on the list. I have gotten to the store before and forgot my list, funny I remembered everything I wrote down. In this case it is very useful! However when I make list for the never ending projects going on here, I seem to pick and choose items on the list that I am motivated to work on, others just seem to never get checked off the list. These are permanent items, items I choose to procrastinate, usually because it’s truly something I dislike doing or are unsure if and how to attack them. UGH! I remember a quote you once told me ” The hurrier I go the behinder I get”. That’s me for sure! Hehehe!! LIST! It is a dirty four letter word!!!
      So glad you like my photos, yes the wildflowers are Beautiful! Gary and I just got back from getting yet another load of mulch from your side of town. I was thinking of you as we drove by, we need to get together again soon!
      Shalom!