Rain Water Catch System

DSC02114gsr

BRING ON THE RAIN!

So we have well water, it is great to not have that monthly bill those city folks get. It is an artesian well, which means the water is constantly under pressure it forces its’ way up and out of the ground. And because of this it has to have a way to run continually to relieve that pressure. The water has been feeding our creek for years. What a waste! We thought the runoff would be perfect to use to water our new garden.

Then we had a water test done and NOPE, turns out our water is too high in saline so it is not safe for tender young plants. It kills them. So our runoff is still feeding the creek. Instead we needed to catch rain water to feed our garden and it has now become our most precious commodity. Without it our garden won’t grow.

So Gary searched on Craigslist and found these 330 gallon liquid totes.

DSC01735gsr

He bought two and built a small deck to sit them on, then plumbed them to catch rain water from our roof using the downspout from our gutters.

DSC02785gsr

Now our garden is set up about 100 feet away so to water ya gotta stretch a lotta hose out. UGH!

We quickly discovered that 660 gallons of water was not gonna last long especially during this terrible drought we’ve had now for 5 or 6 years. So we bought a 1550 gallon water storage tank and again he built a deck to sit it on. This one near the garden so it can feed the garden.

DSC02776gsr

And then he bought a half horse power, portable, electric transfer pump.

DSC02775gsr

This little guy is awesome, when the two totes are full we hook it up and in about an hour or so we can pump all 660 gallons over to the 1550 gallon storage tank.

DSC02780gsr

At the beginning of the fall when I planted we had a full 1550 gallons of rain water ready to go and now we are running on empty. We will soon buy another 2500 gallon storage tank, that should get us through the spring and into the summer IF WE GET RAIN, that is. Oh and we will also buy more totes, because we have more gutter spouts we could use to catch the water. When it rains we are so happy to watch the totes fill up but it is also so sad to see all the precious rain water we are not currently catching go into the ground.

People, if you are not catching your rain water, CATCH IT! Why pay for water when you can get it for free! Yes of course the tanks cost money but they will pay for themselves over time. It is WORTH it! It is an investment that will save you money. And your garden will Love you for it! There is nothing better for your garden then the Rain water that God provides for us. Amen!  just sayin’

Sharing with these fabulous ladies;

Deborah @Green Willow Pond, Pamela@From My Front Porch To Yours, Debra@Common Ground, Courtney@French Country Cottage, Deb@Lavender Garden Cottage, Gail@My Repurposed Life, Suzanne@Pieced Pastimes, Kelli@The Sustainable Couple, Kathryn@The Dedicated House, Stacy@Not JUST A Housewife, Kim@Savvy Southern Style

TSC I Was Featured Button200x200

• Carole West February 8, 2014, 8:09 am

This is great and impressive! I’ve been collecting rain water fro my garden and then we use the well for another area we plant. Our house is on the local water line. I’d love to have it all on one but we plan to sell this property in a few years. I’m already planning things out this I’m pinning to refer to later. LOVE IT! -Carole

• Cindy February 9, 2014, 11:37 am

So glad to hear this Carole, hope it comes in handy for you later when you need it. Thanks for pinning and thanks for commenting. Always love to hear from my followers 🙂

• Diane February 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Visiting from The Dedicated House, love your home, love your blog. Following you via my personal FB page. Diane

• Cindy February 10, 2014, 5:15 pm

Hi Diane, Thanks for stopping by and following, I’ll be sure to visit and return the follow! See you soon!

• Shelley February 11, 2014, 5:42 am

Wow that is impressive! The person who lived in our house before redid the old well into a rain catch system similar to yours where the rain water from the gutters goes into the old well. But it’s not near as big as yours!

• Yael from Home Garden Diggers February 11, 2014, 12:03 pm

Wow. That is quite a water system.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

• Kim Gaynor February 13, 2014, 6:50 pm

We have a rainwater cistern, too, to catch rainwater for our garden. We could drink it if we absolutely needed to, also. I think everyone should have a rainwater harvesting solution, especially in drought prone areas. Catch it while you can!

• Lauren February 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

I was just reading about the droughts in the US and others countries. Love that your catching rain water, it is a valuable commodity and the plants love it. I guess your 330 tanks are empty now? Waiting for a rain?

• Cindy February 25, 2014, 9:12 pm

Hey lady, oh yes No rain here and down to 200 gallons!! I’ll be starting my spring garden soon and posting an update on how the fall gardening is going. Bring on the Rain!!!:)

• Nancy February 26, 2014, 10:35 am

Yes, we are in CA and we are having a drought too. In Sunny Southern CA, we haven’t even had a little rain now for months, and it is a bit too scary.
    So, we ordered a rain barrel….only 50 gals, but it will help the garden.
    Unfortunately, stupid me, I ordered the stand, not the barrel, so last night I ordered the barrel. We do not have gutters on this house, but we have a hip on the house that pours water when it rains. The goal is the catch that….and in the meantime, we have two storms coming our way. (which you should get later) I have huge buckets staged strategically everywhere….to catch what we can. We are in a suburb, that actually runs on wells, but we are doing our part….
    I LOVE your hubby’s system….and wish you lots of spring rain!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

• Cindy February 26, 2014, 10:46 am

Oh yes Nancy, I’ve heard about the drought there. And I am so glad that storms are headed your way and you will be collecting the rain water soon! It is contagious, after you fill up the tank and watch more going to waste you will want to buy more and more tanks! Your garden will love you for it! Thanks for dropping by, have a great day!

• Nancy April 9, 2014, 10:15 am

Here is our little rain barrel….lowly and homely, it catches 50 gals at a time, just from this one corner……when it rains….
      Nancy

/Users/nancymueller/Desktop/IMG_1124.jpg

• Claudia March 6, 2014, 10:04 pm

Ended up on your blog from French Country Cottage. Love the water catchment system. We have a few 55 gallon barrels that we use. Hopefully they won’t start taxing us on the rain!

• Cindy March 7, 2014, 8:50 am

Hi Claudia, so glad you visited, love that you are catching your rain water as well and I know I woudn’t be surprised if they tried 🙂 instead I think there should be a tax credit!

• Paula Driesell March 7, 2014, 6:59 am

So happy to have found you on Liz Marie! Can’t wait to see all the great things you are doing with your house!

Paula
    Locksley Lane

• Cindy March 7, 2014, 9:09 am

Hi Paula, so glad you found me too! Thanks for stoping by and looking forward to your following!

• Diane March 7, 2014, 8:33 pm

You guys are doing all the cool things!

• Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple April 13, 2014, 9:52 pm

WE CHOSE YOUR POST AS OUR FEATURED POST! CONGRATS! Stop by tomorrow to check it out and grab our button 🙂 Thanks for sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays!

Kelli (www.thesustainablecouple.com)