Okay, you thought I was done painting the windows, and I am. Woo Hoo!!! Do a little dance around the room!! Yee Haa!! This is a post about how I did them and just never shared with you but “What about the fourth door ? you ask” . Well I got er done. Yes!! Do another little dance around the room!! I just didn’t see the point in writing another post on how I paint doors, if you missed that post, just click here for a lesson learned and step by step process including 6 tips on how to get a professional looking paint job using a brush (no brush marks)…more on doors here, and a tutorial on a chemical free way to remove paint from door hardware here.
Back to the windows…
So unfortunately our original wood windows were in horrible shape (broken glass, missing glass, rusted non working pulleys, missing weights etc.) and leaked badly. We decided to replace them with custom made ones to match the originals. They are made by Jeld-Wen. They are double pane, double hung, low-e, two over two lite, wooden widows and cost a small fortune. We bought 19 for the downstairs living area and 4 in a custom shape for the upstairs attic area. 14 ordered pre-primed because I knew I wanted to paint them in a custom color and 9 bare, ready for staining.
Unfortunately I was not able to paint the upstairs windows before installation, I still haven’t painted the interior side of these, they just may never get done.
The upstairs is just storage for now, if and when it becomes a living area I guess I’ll get to it! I stood on scaffolding 25 feet up to paint these!
The 70’s , metal frame , single pane window…
The custom shape, double pane wood window…
I used Behr’s “Red Bluff” on the exterior of all 23 windows. For the interior, I went with Ralph Laurens “Tenaya green” in the kitchen which was then wiped with an antique glaze, the den got a custom stain and for the rest, a shade of white by Martha Stewart she calls “Picket Fence”. Love that name, of course I ‘m dreaming of a lovely white picket fence with a gated arbor and beautiful flowers growing and flowing along the entire length for the front yard. 😉 Someday…someday…
There I go again, off the subject…now back to the Windows!
Even though the original windows were in too bad a condition for the house, you know I didn’t trash them. We saved them for another project in the garden.
Can you guess what we will use them for?
Now here’s how I painted the windows
First I remove the sashes and screens, cleaned and masked off the tracking in the frame and painted them, sanded and painted again. Removed the tape and they were ready to go!.
Next I laid out the windows on saw horses, cleaned them up and removed the hardware.
Always place hardware in plastic bags or cups whatever you have on hand and label “top sash” and “bottom sash” and pay attention to the length of the screws, mark if needed. You don’t want to put the wrong screws in the wrong place later cuz you could crack the glass. Take my word on this….:0
Oh and if your painting two different colors, be sure you know what is the front and the back of the window so you don’t paint the wrong color on the wrong side, just sayin’.
These windows had tiny holes where staples were used to attach the trim that holds the glass in place.
I filled these holes with wood filler and sanded, cleaned up the dust and masked off the weather-stripping. And began painting.
I paint the inside trim first and the muntins (lite divider). Nope, I do not mask off the glass.
Next, let them dry, then lightly sand, clean and painted a second coat. After drying overnight it’s time to remove the paint from the glass.
Taking a sharp razor blade, just cut along the entire length of the window frame, then either aim razor towards the frame and pull back, the paint will release easily or aim razor parallel to the frame and again the paint will lift right off. No problem. Cheaper and less time-consuming.
Clean the glass with glass cleaner, flip her over and your ready to paint the other side.
Replace the hardware and reinstall!
This process took about three days per window set so times that by 14, and I stained 5 on the interior side which took at least 5 days per window, plus the upstairs windows took one and a half days per window that’s close to 4 months! Weather permitting and considering I was Working fulltime during this, oh and Family issues and Life issues and 10 million other things to do around here! Holy cow!
Completing these windows, I consider this a HUGE accomplishment.
DIY sometimes sucks, but if we had ordered theses windows custom painted and stained at triple the expense, we would still be saving to pay for them!
So, It’s worth it!
Sharing with these awesome ladies;
Deborah@Green Willow Pond, Kim@Savvy Southern Style, Judy@DIY by Design, Gail@My Repurposed Life, Cindy@My Romantic Home, Vanessa@Nifty Thrifty Things, Kim@Savvy Southern Style, Debra@Common Ground, Kristin@My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Angie@Knick of Time Interiors, Pamela@From my Front Porch to Yours, Courtney@French Country Cottage, Karen@Redoux Interiors Suzanne@Pieced Pastimes, Kathryn@The Dedicated House