Garden Project update…and Planter Boxes made from Salvaged Wood

Texas Art via glassslipperrestorations.com

Hey y’all, first, if you missed my post on the Gardening Project, please check it out here, now we decided to implement Paul’s Back to Eden way of gardening, and I am happy to say, we have successfully killed off all the Bermuda grass in the garden area! But there is one weed we cannot get rid of, it’s Nutgrass or Nutsedge.

I researched ways to kill off this stuff, there are three options to do this,one is spraying with sugar water while there are no more than five blades of grass showing, or using MSMA,  or simply pulling the weed out by hand, making sure to pull the nut and root. This is the way I chose to do this and as long as there is little or no rain this only takes about 5 to 15 minutes to do each morning, but when there has been rain it grows very quickly and if you miss a few days or a week then it can take 30 minutes or more.  Believe me I have been known to miss some days, mostly when I leave out of town.

The perfect environment for this stuff is pretty much exactly what we have created, sandyloam soil, plenty of sun and moist conditions caused by all the mulch. Once we get the drip irrigation watering system set up and plant, I believe I will be spending several minutes daily just pulling the nutgrass!  Please if any of you have had experience with getting rid of nutgrass, once and for all, I would love it if you would share this with me.

There is another little situation here, we simply do not get enough rain to break down this mulch quick enough to plant in so we will be adding some quality soil to our planting boxes and maybe after a few years the mulch underneath the soil will break down. Anyhow, I am still very pleased that the Bermuda grass is gone and I will deal with the nutgrass as needed. During this summer, while I pulled the nutgrass I collected it here to show you.

Pulled nutgrass via glassslipperrestorations nut

The nut is hard to see, it’s very small, it’s just below my thumb, but if you rub your fingers over it you can feel it and the root is very long

Nutgrass after several days ia glassslipperrestorations.com-the garden update 2013

this is how bad it can get if left alone several days

Bucket of Nutgrass collected fro garden via glassslipperrestorations.com nut

this is the amount I collected over the summer, this 5 gallon bucket is about 3/4 full.

I have also killed several scorpions, they blend in well with the mulch, so while kneeling on the ground, I am constantly keeping an eye out for them little suckers, I have yet to be stung by one and do not wish to be either.  Also when the mulch is really wet I have seen many rollie pollies (pill bugs), I will have to deal with those things, oh and one other thing, this mulch can be full of dust, which I may be allergic to, the first load we shoveled gave me an awful sore throat, so now I either wear a dust mask or bandana when shoveling and raking this stuff.

So far, I think this is going to be a great foundation for our garden, and it can only improve from here on out! I spent some time last year perusing garden layout designs on Pinterest and I found one I wanted to try, so I drew up the plan and Gary and I built these boxes with some wood we salvaged  on its way to the dump. The wood is not treated and it is not cedar so it may not last but a few years but that’s ok cuz I might want to change the design by then anyways.

Here are a few photos of how we did it

(sorry, for the cloudy and overcast photos, it has been like this for weeks, makes it hard to get a good shot)

Salvaged Wood Planter Boxes via http:// GlassSlipperRestorations.com

Tack splicing boards via glassslipperrestorations.com

First, we tack spliced boards together using a nail gun,

1of 4 outer sideboards via glassslipperrestorations.com

we placed them in garden and tacked in place

2 of 4 outer sideboards via glassslipperrestorations.com

all the way around

3 of 4 outer sideboards via glassslipperrestorations.com

keeping them level along the way…

4 of 4 outer sideboards via glassslipperrestorations.com

next, we assembled one 14′ box and two boxes at 69″ each and centered them in the garden,

14' center box via glassslipperrestorations.com

then we were able to determine the size of the outer boxes

center boxes via glassslipperrestorations.com

I wanted to keep a 3′ walkway all around, so the outer boxes became 23″ deep

23 planter box via glassslipperrestorations.com

36 walk path in garden via glassslipperrestorations.com

inner sideboards via glassslipperrestorations.com

then we assembled the inner sideboards and installed struts to hold them together

strut boards via glassslipperrestorations.com

inner boards via glassslipperrestorations.com

once completed, we screwed all boxes at the tack locations, and assembled the 4 square boxes.

33x33 planter box via glassslipperrestorations.com

These ended up being 33″x33″ also maintaining a 3′ walking path surrounding the boxes, I know this is a long post but bear with me, it’s allmost over

Gary repurposed this old rusty iron gate in the center box to use as a trellis for vineing plants and also made this entrance, including his artwork!

Repurposed iron gate as trellis via glassslipperrestorations.com

gateway to garden via glassslipperrestorations.com

Garden plan via glassslipperrestorations.com

The only cost envolved was for the screws, about 8 bucks, and our labor :)

So next step is to get our watering system set up and filling the boxes with soil to plant  ;)… EDIT check out my First Fall Garden here

Partying with these sweet ladies;

Donna@Funky Junk Interiors, Lisa@Fresh Eggs Daily, Becca@Diy Vintage Chic, Andrea@TheCottage Market, Jessi@Practically Functional, Vanessa@Nifty Thrifty Things,

Shelly@MinettesMaze, Roeshel@DIY Showoff, Clydia@Three Mango Seeds, Tammy@One More Time Events, Pam@Be Colorful, Brenda@Cozy Little House,

Linsey, Anita, Debbie, and Anne@The Scoop, Kristin@My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia, Linda@Coastal Charm, Angie@Knick of Time Interiors,

Beth@Home Stories A to Z, Judy@DIY by Design, Kim@Savvy Southern Style, Gretchen@The Backyard Connection, Pamela@From my Front Porch to Yours,

Kathy@A Delightsome Life, AnneMarie@Bella Vista Farm, Deborah@Green Willow Pond Debra@Common Ground, Courtney@French Country Cottage, Gail@My Repurposed Life

Christy@Confessions of a Serial DIYer, Deb@Lavender Garden Cottage, Susan@Between Naps on the Porch, Suzanne@Pieced Pastimes, Mandy@The Hankful House

Confessions of a Plate Addict    Photobucket

Debbie@Confessions of a Plate Addict, Karen@Redoux Interiors, Liz@LizMarieBlog, Wendy@The Shabby Nest, Andrea@The Cottage Market, Kammy@Kammy’s Korner

• Lady Locust September 20, 2013, 8:18 am

It would be difficult to resist planting just as soon as they are filled up with soil. It looks great!
    Smiles,
    JoeyLea

• Cindy September 20, 2013, 8:31 am

Ooh JoeyLea, I know, it is teasing me, looking at the garden from my front windows, it’s raining here at the moment, just can’t wait to see everything growing there!Thanks for visiting!

• Tammy September 22, 2013, 9:16 am

This is great! Can’t wait to see it filled… thank you for sharing at One More Time Events…Tammy

• distresseddonna September 22, 2013, 5:51 pm

This is a huge project the two of you have begun. Good Luck!

• Shelly minettesmaze.blogspot.com/ September 22, 2013, 7:59 pm

These are fantastic!!! This is deff a pinner!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!

Shelly from MinettesMaze

• Lauren September 23, 2013, 4:48 pm

Terrific area! Lots of room to walk and work, and harvest!!!
    Kudos to you both

• Cindy September 23, 2013, 6:44 pm

Thanks Lauren, oh yes, it’s a 24’x24′ area and I made sure we left a 3′ walkway and today I bought a smaller, single wheel, wheelbarrow that allows me to maneuver in and around the boxes.Can’t wait to get the garden going!

• andrea cammarata September 27, 2013, 6:06 am

This is totally fabulous! Thanks for sharing with us…hugs!

• Eliza July 19, 2016, 11:01 am

Well I guess I don’t have to spend the weekend figunirg this one out!

• Confessions of a Plate Addict September 28, 2013, 7:22 pm

Love your planter boxes…great upcycling! Just wanted to let you know that you were featured on my blog! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop! …hugs…Debbie

• kristin September 29, 2013, 11:04 am

Love how you recycled, That space is a dream to garden! Thanks for linking up. xo

• Kathy October 1, 2013, 7:15 pm

This looks terrific Cindy! Bless your heart! Scorpions, Potato/Pill bugs and dust! You’re a garden trooper! I am so delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

• Phaydra Hunt January 13, 2014, 8:55 pm

I found your post on pinterest when I was searching for diy garden boxes. And I am so happy because I love it! I have been sketching this exact garden layout for months now and am thrilled that I found actual pictures to go along with what I have been envisioning. You really did such and amazing and beautiful job! Can you give me the measurement of the outside of your garden?

• Cindy January 13, 2014, 9:21 pm

Oh yes, Phaydra, it ia 24′ by24′! So glad you found what you were looking for! Have you also checked out The Gardening Project and Gardening 101?
      Thanks for stopping by and hope you will visit again.

• Phaydra Hunt January 13, 2014, 9:46 pm

Thanks for responding so fast, Cindy! Yes, I just got done reading both of those great blog post. So helpful! The size I had designed was 18×20 but I prefer your dimensions after seeing it. Thanks for all the wonderful tips! Can’t wait to hear how it does throughout the winter season.

• Corinna Ashley [ForMyLoveOf] March 10, 2014, 8:40 pm

I adore your garden. It’s everything I wish I had in a garden. Minus scorpions and nut grass, of course. I’ve pinned it, hoping to recreate it one of these days!

• google plus app download March 21, 2014, 10:50 pm

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

• Cindy March 22, 2014, 1:51 pm

Sorry, test.net, I believe my site thinks you are spam. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Glad you enjoy my blog!

• Susan Stodola April 6, 2014, 7:27 am

Have you researched/tried the home made vinegar weed killer? I’m going to try it in my Back to Eden garden as last year crab grass showed up and I have a huge 40X60 foot area to control. With all the nice moisture under the wood chips, those weeds went crazy even with all the newspaper we put down.

• Cindy April 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Hi Susan, no I haven’t tried a vinegar solution, I tend to just pull them out as I see them come up. During the winter they stopped producing and now this spring they are showing up again. I will look into the vinegar, it seems it takes just as long to spray them as it does to pull them. Thanks for your input. Good luck with your garden! 😉

• deborah ruple April 6, 2014, 10:59 am

I was wondering how you got rid of the crabgrass….my yard is covered..been wanting to do this for years!!!!! I loved that you salvaged unwanted materials ….I’m older and stay down in my back a lot so a raised bed is a MUST for me…and you’re is so neat…will be looking forward to hearing back from you…thanks.

• Cindy April 6, 2014, 12:00 pm

Hello Deborah, well, we started with trying the “Back to Eden” way, except we were able to get lots of free cardboard from the same place we picked up free mulch! If you missed that post you can read it here! here And recently I hurt my back and it put me down for at least three weeks! I now wish I had elevated beds that required no bending or stooping, you know about 34″ high off the ground! Maybe we will come up with something like that soon!Thanks for visiting, you can find all of my post on gardening if you click on the word Garden found under Categories located in the right sidebar of my blog!Thanks again, Cindy

• Tracey B April 6, 2014, 1:59 pm

I love the layout of the beds – I am very much into symmetry and this would have to be the best layout I’ve seen for raised garden beds yet. We are in Australia where it is quite temperate and can grow all year round so large beds like this are great for crop rotation through the seasons – the huge centre trellis is a fantastic idea – and we LOVE that it’s all recycled materials – our plan as well. We will probably have to downsize ours a bit, but the inspiration is perfect – thanks!

• Cindy April 6, 2014, 4:51 pm

Thank you so much Tracey, so glad to inspire you! I’m loving gardening although we need to install a drip irigation system next and I already wish I had a bigger area for melons, so we may add on in the future. 😉

• Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog April 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

Wow! I am so impressed! It looks awesome! Thank you so much for linking up at Get Your DIY On: Thinking Spring! Happy Easter!

~Abby =)

• Kammy's Korner June 3, 2014, 6:03 am

I love your boxes!!! But I must say what grabbed my attention was the “Texas Art”! AWESOME and featuring over on Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday today! :) Also pinned to the highlights board.