Hey y’all, first, if you missed my post on the Gardening Project, please check it out here, now we decided to implement Paul’s Back to Eden way of gardening, and I am happy to say, we have successfully killed off all the Bermuda grass in the garden area! But there is one weed we cannot get rid of, it’s Nutgrass or Nutsedge.
I researched ways to kill off this stuff, there are three options to do this,one is spraying with sugar water while there are no more than five blades of grass showing, or using MSMA, or simply pulling the weed out by hand, making sure to pull the nut and root. This is the way I chose to do this and as long as there is little or no rain this only takes about 5 to 15 minutes to do each morning, but when there has been rain it grows very quickly and if you miss a few days or a week then it can take 30 minutes or more. Believe me I have been known to miss some days, mostly when I leave out of town.
The perfect environment for this stuff is pretty much exactly what we have created, sandyloam soil, plenty of sun and moist conditions caused by all the mulch. Once we get the drip irrigation watering system set up and plant, I believe I will be spending several minutes daily just pulling the nutgrass! Please if any of you have had experience with getting rid of nutgrass, once and for all, I would love it if you would share this with me.
There is another little situation here, we simply do not get enough rain to break down this mulch quick enough to plant in so we will be adding some quality soil to our planting boxes and maybe after a few years the mulch underneath the soil will break down. Anyhow, I am still very pleased that the Bermuda grass is gone and I will deal with the nutgrass as needed. During this summer, while I pulled the nutgrass I collected it here to show you.
The nut is hard to see, it’s very small, it’s just below my thumb, but if you rub your fingers over it you can feel it and the root is very long
this is how bad it can get if left alone several days
this is the amount I collected over the summer, this 5 gallon bucket is about 3/4 full.
I have also killed several scorpions, they blend in well with the mulch, so while kneeling on the ground, I am constantly keeping an eye out for them little suckers, I have yet to be stung by one and do not wish to be either. Also when the mulch is really wet I have seen many rollie pollies (pill bugs), I will have to deal with those things, oh and one other thing, this mulch can be full of dust, which I may be allergic to, the first load we shoveled gave me an awful sore throat, so now I either wear a dust mask or bandana when shoveling and raking this stuff.
So far, I think this is going to be a great foundation for our garden, and it can only improve from here on out! I spent some time last year perusing garden layout designs on Pinterest and I found one I wanted to try, so I drew up the plan and Gary and I built these boxes with some wood we salvaged on its way to the dump. The wood is not treated and it is not cedar so it may not last but a few years but that’s ok cuz I might want to change the design by then anyways.
Here are a few photos of how we did it
(sorry, for the cloudy and overcast photos, it has been like this for weeks, makes it hard to get a good shot)
First, we tack spliced boards together using a nail gun,
we placed them in garden and tacked in place
all the way around
keeping them level along the way…
next, we assembled one 14′ box and two boxes at 69″ each and centered them in the garden,
then we were able to determine the size of the outer boxes
I wanted to keep a 3′ walkway all around, so the outer boxes became 23″ deep
once completed, we screwed all boxes at the tack locations, and assembled the 4 square boxes.
These ended up being 33″x33″ also maintaining a 3′ walking path surrounding the boxes, I know this is a long post but bear with me, it’s allmost over
Gary repurposed this old rusty iron gate in the center box to use as a trellis for vineing plants and also made this entrance, including his artwork!
The only cost envolved was for the screws, about 8 bucks, and our labor 🙂
So next step is to get our watering system set up and filling the boxes with soil to plant ;)… EDIT check out my First Fall Garden here
Partying with these sweet ladies;