They’re Hot,They’re Gorgeous, and oh so Sexy!

Restored Vintage Door Hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

I’m talking about  the “vintage door hardware”,  jewelry for your doors(if you will) which had been painted over?!!

WoW!! Never knew how Beautiful it was or how easy it would be to clean up!

Ok, here goes a tutorial on “How To Restore Vintage Door Hardware”

How to Restore Vintage Door Hardware via GlassSlipperRestorations.com Items needed;

Crock pot

Screwdrivers ( to remove parts from door)

Dishsoap ( I used Dawn)

Water to cover

Putty knife or ( I used my 5 in 1 painters tool)

Brass bristle brush

Papertowels and soft clean cloths

Wood cleaner/preserver ( I used Scott’s Liquid Gold)

Ok, start with removing the Hinges, Door knobs, screws, escutcheons (fancy name for the decorative plates)

*Note I did not clean the lock box mechanisms this way, because I did not want to soak the internal parts.Instead I gently scraped off paint just using the putty knife and brush.

They were in good working condition, if yours are not , you will have to open them up and inspect and clean and then spray a silicone lubricant on the pieces, you may have to replace any broken or missing pieces as well.

I can show this detail in another post if you are interested.

Place items into crockpot, cover items with water, squirt a little dishsoap in pot, set crockpot on and let soak 3 to 4 hours.

How to restore vintage hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

Carefully remove items *Caution, they will be hot, I used tongs to remove from crockpot, but you could also use heavy duty rubber gloves.

Then, gently lift or peel the paint off with putty knife and bristle brush.

Removeing paint from vintage door hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

How to remove paint from vintage door hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

This one peeled off almost whole, thought about saving it, I dunno why, … changed my mind…

how to restore vintage door hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

If there is some paint remaining then just soak a second time for another 1 to 2 hours and repeat paint removal step, rinse, dry with papertowels and apply Liquid Gold liberally with soft cloth, let sit and dry before reinstalling

Restored Vintage Door Hardware via glassslipperrestorations.com

That’s it, very simple, no need for smelly harsh chemicals.

Are you restoring an old house? I would love to here about it, hope this helps you tackle your vintage door hardware!

Please feel free to like, pin and follow!

Sharing with these fine folks; French Country Cottage, From My Front Porch to Yours, Ivy and Elephants, Redoux Interiors, The Vintage Farmhouse,

Diy Vintage Chic, Funky Junk Interiors, On Sutton Place, VMG206, Nifty Thrifty Things, Knick of Time Interiors, Farmhouse Porch, Green Willow Pond,

One More Time Events, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Home Stories A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Pieced Pastimes, Common Ground, My Romantic Home, The PinJunkie, My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaDiy Showoff, My Repurposed Life, The Shabby Nest, Liz Marie Blog, The Cottage Market, Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home, Cozy Little House

I’ve been featured at these fabulous blogs!

64170_4719850152887_625893102_n

White Lace Cottage

and…

DIY Vintage Chic

Pieced Pastimes

• Becca August 23, 2013, 4:52 pm

Wow! Great job! Would never have thought to use the crockpot.

• Cindy August 23, 2013, 6:23 pm

Thanks Becca, I remembered reading about this somewhere, wish I could remember where so as to give credit, I had an old crockpot sitting around so I decided to try it out. I am very pleased with the result, works great!

• Becca August 27, 2013, 3:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by DIY Vintage Chic’s Friday’s Five Features and Fun Festivities. Don’t forget to stop back by this Friday!

• Cindy August 27, 2013, 9:42 pm

Hey Becca, enjoyed the party and I will see you next week!

• Lauren August 23, 2013, 5:00 pm

Hi Cindy,

I love the “no chemical” way you removed the paint! I would of never thought of that and it looks like it worked so slick. The hardware on the doors is quite attractive in their finished state. Thanks for sharing that tip.

Blessings
    Lauren

• Cindy August 23, 2013, 10:14 pm

Thank you Lauren for the visit, hope you and your family are doing well, I have another tip, this is a great site I found recently and I thought of you immediately http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com, although I think highly of your knowledge of chickens, this site has some great information you might enjoy! Hope to see you again soon!

• Lauren August 28, 2013, 4:17 pm

Hi Cindy,
        Great chicken info. Thanks for thinking of me.

Lauren

• sheliawilliamson August 24, 2013, 10:44 am

How marvelous all of the hardware looks. I didn’t know you could bring them back like this! I’m pinning you from the Pinterest Blitz party.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

• Cindy August 24, 2013, 4:28 pm

Thanks for stoppoing by Sheila, hope you will visit again sometime! Thanks for pinning!

• Beverly August 25, 2013, 10:58 am

What a great way to clean all of those vintage pieces. I had some I am going to try.
    Thanks for sharing,

• Cindy August 27, 2013, 9:24 pm

Hi Beverly, I do hope you will share how they turn out, thanks so much for stopping by!

• Kim Whitley-Gaynor August 25, 2013, 3:14 pm

Sometimes I like leaving the old paint on old hardware, but I will definitely pin this for future reference!

• Patti August 25, 2013, 3:54 pm

What a cool technique! How beautiful is this door hardware, YUM!!!
    I’ve got to get out there and find some.
    Hugs,
    Patti

• Cindy August 27, 2013, 9:27 pm

Hello Patti, hope you will getcha some, I just love them, I know you will too! Thanks for visiting!

• Shelly minettesmaze.blogspot.com/ August 25, 2013, 7:57 pm

Wow I would have never had known that. Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!

Shelly @MinettesMaze

• Cindy August 27, 2013, 9:31 pm

Hi Shelly, I wasn’t sure I would be able to get all the paint out of all those tiny little details of the escutcheons, it was much easier than I thought, thanks for hosting and stopping by!

• recreateanddecorate August 25, 2013, 8:41 pm

I never knew this. I love the old hardware. I would love to add it to my home. Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase.

• Cindy August 27, 2013, 9:47 pm

Hey Wanda, visited your site, love those polka dotted pumpkins, soo cute! See ya next week!

• Sue Bodai August 28, 2013, 7:08 am

Great idea to use the crockpot. I would have considered saving the paint too – it did look cool all in one piece like that.
    I have a new build that I want to add character too and am planning on at some point replacing all the new doors with old ones complete with old hardware so this will come in handy! Pinning.

Thanks!
    Sue
    bebeandj

• Cindy September 1, 2013, 11:13 pm

Hi Sue, thanks for stopping by and pinning, hope this works for you and hope you will share your results with me. Thanks again!

• Deborah August 30, 2013, 5:49 am

I saw this tip somewhere too, but haven’t tried it yet. I want to upgrade my old crockpot, then use it for this purpose. Thanks for showing how well it works and for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays.

Hugs,
    Deborah

• lou September 1, 2013, 6:35 pm

I am so glad that I found this post. Wow! This is amazing. Thanks!!

• Cindy September 1, 2013, 11:29 pm

Your very welcome Lou, glad you stopped by!

• Cranberry Morning September 2, 2013, 7:28 pm

That is just amazing! Beautiful job – and who doesn’t love vintage hardware anyway. I sure do!

• Cindy September 2, 2013, 10:39 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment, and thank you for visiting!

• Becca September 5, 2013, 10:29 am

Sorry I’m a little late but congrats! You were featured on Friday’s Five Features over on DIY Vintage Chic. Stop by and grab yourself a button!

• Krista Cole December 2, 2013, 2:08 pm

I love your blog. I wanted to Pin this post but Hometalk is letting it happen…or maybe operator error. At any rate, what happens is that you have Pin It buttons on all your photos. However, when i click on that Pin It button, I am redirected to another Hometalk page with just that photo. No way to Pin. Can you let me know if I’m doing it wrong or if there is no way to Pin from here. btw, I also tried to use my own Pin button and Hometalk puts up a message that says, “Hometalk can not find an image to Pin on this page” Thanks for your help. Krista

• Cindy December 2, 2013, 3:36 pm

Hi Krista, thanks for bringing this issue to my attention! I am looking into the problem, so far I found only one way to pin. Please visit my site http://www.http//.glassslipperrestorations.com, this will take you to my about page and from there, go to blog post in the upper right corner, then click on the post, and down at the bottom of my post you will see “share this” and a pin button just to the right, I was able to click it and pin only the feature photo of my post. I am not sure why this is happening? So sorry for the inconvenience, hope this works for you. Thanks again for sharing and please don’t hesitate to let me know if it doesn’t work. I will continue to try to figure this out.
      Sincerely grateful for your interest and time, Cindy

• Marie@TheInteriorFrugalista January 31, 2014, 2:19 pm

I must remember this – love that it’s a no VOC alternative to removing paint! Glad I found you over at the Pin Junkie party.

• Cindy January 31, 2014, 2:56 pm

Yes Marie, this is an awesome paint removal tip! Pin it to help you remember and share! Thanks for stopping by!

• michele February 1, 2014, 7:07 am

Yes, most of those old door pieces are so amazing indeed.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Visiting from Common Ground today.
    Michele

• Cindy February 1, 2014, 11:13 am

Your very welcome Michele, thanks for vistiing! :)

• Debra@CommonGround February 5, 2014, 3:29 pm

wow, what a great method, so much easier this way!!

• Betsy February 27, 2014, 7:31 pm

Wow, what an easy way to bring back their natural beauty. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Bohemian Valhalla March 18, 2014, 2:16 am

WOW… what a great tip for Restoration of Old Hardware… you can be certain I will be utilizing this for some of my Collection that I want to see Details on that layers of years of painting have obscured! And I would have Saved that peeled off Paint Escutcheon and used it in an Art Project of some kind! But then again, I’m a Hoarder of lots of weird and wonderful things I like to Create with! *LOL* So glad to have Discovered your Blog here at the Frugal Friday Blog Party! Blessings from the Arizona Desert… Dawn… The Bohemian

• Cindy March 20, 2014, 4:11 pm

Thanks Dawn for stoppig by for a visit, on my way to check out your site!

• ruth November 16, 2014, 8:25 am

My mom removed paint from metal hardware by soaking it in Top Job, a cleaner that may not be sold anymore. I think it was ammonia-based, and I’ve had good luck soaking things in ammonia – outside!! But your idea here is better, using dish soap. Thanks!!

• Samantha March 6, 2015, 8:36 am

We just closed on a home built in 1900, and every piece of hardware is covered in at least 2 coats of paint. It’s heartbreaking!! I’m determined to save every piece that I can, and I’m so happy that I found your post. This will hopefully save me so much time. I do have a question. Did you spray anything over the hardware to protect it or did you just leave it? I saw you mentioned Liquid Gold, but I’m not sure what that is or its purpose.

Thanks!!

• Cindy March 15, 2015, 10:15 am

Hi Samantha, so glad you found my post and I know this will work at getting all that paint off of your hardware! The Liquid Gold is actually a wood cleaner and preservative you will find most anywhere furniture cleaners and polishers are sold, it is made by Scott’s. Although it is most likely used for cleaning and polishing wood it also cleans and shines and protects stainless steel and brass. So I used it to clean any residue from the hardware and it shines it up and helps protect the finish. It is what I had on hand but you could use any cleaner made for metal as well. Have fun and enjoy your restoration! Hope you will follow my blog for more information you may need in the future, I will be sure to answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge.
      Thank you for visiting and commenting!

• marshall September 21, 2015, 7:20 am

the best way that I have found to clean old rusty metal door locks is to soak them in distilled vinegar for several hours ,rinse & scrub with a brush . after scrubbing them you should be able to remove the screws to clean the internal parts. I cleaned cast iron this way after our house burned. it works great for me.