Spring Fever is Here!!! Repurposed Doghouse into a Chicken Coop!

DSC01504GSR

Spring is here in Texas, Gary and I have been busy working outside, taking advantage of the mild weather to get some ongoing projects completed, started and hopefully completed, because here in Texas, summer will be here before you know it and it will be purgatory time (100+ degree) until October. We have worked on the chicken coop, the garden, and now doing some painting and staining on the exterior of the house. Yes, it seems we always have at least 3 or 4 projects going on at the same time… And did I mention we picked up over 100 pallets this morning for some future projects. Yay, really excited about this 😀 😀 :D.

The chicken coop project has been an ongoing one , it started with turning our unused doghouse and an unused pig pen into a small chicken coop, and Gary did a great job with it, it’s very cute, just what I had in mind. Then he got even more creative and built an extra lean-to type covered area to keep their feed dry, turned out very nice.

DSC01058GSR

DSC01054GSR

DSC01055GSR

inside coop

DSC01059GSR

Then he built them some extra shade with outdoor perches, they love as well.

Working on chicken shack

Building Chicken Shack

DSC01281GSR

Unfortunately we lost a few chickens, first to hawks, while they were free roaming in the yard, then opossums, digging under the fence, so we began enclosing their area a little more and Gary put down some old tin roofing all along the outside to keep the opossums from digging under. Then we lost another to raccoons climbing over and into the coop area, so for now we lock them up each night into the little cute doghouse and let them out every morning. The coop is still a work in progress until we get a secured roof on top, so as long as we are home every night, we are able to lock them up and let them out each day, it works for now. Some Happy Chickens….

Scopin out the place

Happy Chickens

Let us out now

looking for scrapes

yum cat water

found catfood

catfood where

did you say cat

DSC01497gsr

If you like this post, please leave a comment, better yet follow me, Thanks for visiting!

, Photobucket  Pieced Pastimes Pieced Pastimes  It's Overflowing

Linking up with these great parties!

French Country Cottage, Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters’ Stuff, Common Ground-Do, Chic on a shoestring decorating, My Repurposed Life, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Knick of Time Interiors, Between Naps on the Porch, Be Colorful, Craft-O-Maniac, DIY Showoff, DIY HSHP, The DIY Dreamer, DIY by Design, A Stroll Thru Life, Primp Junktion, Savvy Southern Style, Farm Life at its Best, It’s Overflowing, I Heart Naptime, Nifty Thrifty Things, Home Stories A to Z, A Bowl full of Lemons, Creations by Kara, Green Willow Pond, The 36th Avenue, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Romantic Home, Keeping it Simple Crafts, The Farmhouse Porch, From my Front Porch To Yours, Lil’Luna, Redoux Interiors, Rooted in Thyme, Debbiedoos, Fresh Eggs Daily, Practically Functional, A Delightsome Life, The Backyard Farming Connection, Frugality Gal, Lavender Garden Cottage, One More Time Events, The Dedicated House, The Pin Junkie, DebraJeans Dandelion House, Not Just a Housewife, Beyond the Picket Fence, Pieced Pastimes, The Cottage Market, The Shabby Nest, Deborah Jeans Dandelion House, Cozy Little House, VMG 206, Diy Vintage Chic, Nancherro, The Chicken Chick, The Sustainable Couple, Kammy’s Korner

• Leisa April 28, 2013, 4:02 pm

Love this! We’re going to be raising pigs this year and it is my hope to add a few chickens to the mix next year. They’ll need a coop and this looks charming and functional.

• Cindy April 28, 2013, 9:59 pm

Hello Leisa, thanks for loving our cute little chicken coop, we currently have 7 chickens using it, and they are quite comfy in there, they often share the same nesting box. They have been so much fun for us, we truly enjoy relaxing in the evening and just watching them, we have named them all, love the fresh eggs they give us everyday!

• Lauren Weiss April 29, 2013, 10:24 am

I am full of smiles…. those are blessed chickens and happy owners! Cute chicken condo and pictures. Looking forward to watching your blog bloom and grow too.

I

• Cindy April 29, 2013, 3:28 pm

Thanks Lauren so much for your sweet comment and following, looking forward to visiting with you soon! 😀 Shalom!!!

• Deborah April 30, 2013, 9:51 am

Your coop is sweet! I turned an old playhouse into a chicken coop last year. I’m loving having chickens and am adding 3 more this year. How do you keep your chickens cool in your hot Texas summers?

I’d love it if you would share this at “What We Accomplished Wednesday,” at Green Willow Pond. It is live Tuesdays at about 6:00 EST. Have a great week!

Hugs,
    Deborah

• Cindy April 30, 2013, 12:21 pm

Thank you for visiting and your sweet comment, we just got our chicks this past winter, not yet sure how they will do this summer, but we do free range them on about a 2 acre area and they will find shade under our house, shed and various out buildings. I will see you Tuesday!

• Luisa May 1, 2013, 9:13 am

Love that you were able to reuse that doghouse! My hubby and I have joined the wonderful world of backyard chicken owners…almost. We have the coop and will be getting the chicks soon!

• Cindy May 1, 2013, 9:26 am

Thanks for liking and commenting, Luisa, when our sweet Jessie was alive she never used it much, once she passed it was just sitting there, taking up space in the shed, so we got creative with it and it works out great! Hope you enjoy your chicks as much as we have!

• Marty@A Stroll Thru Life May 1, 2013, 9:44 am

Oh my word, this is so clever. I love it. Everyone seems to be into raising chickens and this is such a great coop. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

• Cindy May 1, 2013, 10:56 pm

Thank you Marty for visiting, love all the comments, very sweet…

• Gail (@repurposedlife) May 1, 2013, 8:16 pm

love your chicken coop! I’ve been wanting to do an outdoor space for my cats… a doghouse would be great! 🙂

catching you this week!
    gail

• Cindy May 1, 2013, 9:15 pm

Sure, you know you could repurpose just about anything!…see ya…

• Pat May 2, 2013, 8:37 pm

I just found this post at CCC party at MRL!
    I own chickens this will be our second summer with them. You’re right…HOT Texas summers are on the way.
    I love this little dog house chicken coop. We built our first chicken coop out of scraps and some new stuff. It has held up pretty well! We are currently working on our 2nd batch of Nugget chickens for the freezer. I’d love to have a ‘guest house’ for these chickens. The last set of nuggets we had never went into our coop except to eat …the always roosted in the trees. I didn’t really like that set up, since it left them vulnerable to predators. Getting them into their tractors at night was always hard.

This little dog house turned coop is ideal…we only have 6 chicks this time…so it would be perfect!
    Glad I found you… I’m in NorthEast Tx— right on the line between North East Texas and South East Texas…he he he! very southern tip of Kaufman County, very near Navarro (Corsicana)
    It’s always nice to meet new neighbors!

• Cindy May 2, 2013, 11:43 pm

Hi Pat, Thank you so much for visiting, I’m glad you love our coop, it should work perfect for you. We locked them in with food and water for 2-3 days so they would realize that is where they are to roost before letting them free range, it worked for us! Good luck to you! Thanks so much for the comment, nice to meet you as well neighbor!

• Pat May 3, 2013, 7:41 am

I forgot about that little trick….lock them up for a time. I did that with my initial set of hens and chicks when I first got them. Then, again with The Nuggets (we kept 2 after we killed the others) We introduced them to the flock at night and locked them up for about 1 week or so. It worked like a charm. They all go into the coop now!
    I’m new at all the chickens and homesteading…and I’m just learning. So this little reminder was great.
    Thanks!

• Cindy May 3, 2013, 9:31 am

Your very welcome Pat, again thanks for your comments! Come back by anytime…

• REnee May 3, 2013, 11:32 am

add a turkey we haven’t had any racoons into our yard since we started raising some turkeys with our chickens. we have a breeding pair of heritage Blue Slates. our chicks are just starting to hatch.

• Cindy May 3, 2013, 11:45 am

That’s an idea, we thought about adding a rooster, a duck or goose, not sure thou that we want them to have the run of the place, need to add more fenceing. As we speak, I have 3 chickens on my back porch grooming themselves and peering in thru the glass door, I bet if I open the door they will come right into the kitchen!!!:D Thanks for visiting and leaving a great comment!

• REnee May 3, 2013, 11:35 am

made a coup for the turkeys using 3 pallet. my husband had a video of us putting it together. I will look for the link and post it later. we have since modified it a little.

• Cindy May 3, 2013, 11:50 am

Great Idea, it just so happens we have plenty of pallets on hand… Would like to see that post, sounds awesome!

• Gretchen@Boxy Colonial May 6, 2013, 7:54 am

What a lovely little chicken coop! Great job 🙂 I can’t believe opossums got your chickens! When we had ours, we had a pair of opossums hanging out for awhile; one time we found one of them actually perched in the coop with the chooks, but he never hurt them. We finally trapped them and moved them to some woods a few miles away. Texas opossums must be scarier than Georgia opossums 😉

• Cindy May 6, 2013, 8:51 am

Hi Gretchen, Glad you like our coop, thanks for stopping by…never trust a Texan oppossum!

• Christine May 6, 2013, 12:34 pm

So jealous!! LOVE IT!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream to Reality! Can’t wait to see what you share tomorrow evening!

• Cindy May 6, 2013, 10:14 pm

Hi Christine, wishing to inspire all those who are working so hard at making thier dreams come true, so glad to share …see you tomorrow…:D

• Eve June 3, 2013, 11:29 am

I’m trying to get my chicken coop floor fixed up. I had chickens before and really miss them. But yes, I have had trouble with oppossums too. If you have a good sized rooster the hawks will think twice. My rooster Zeb, was chest to chest with a Sharp Shinned Hawk. Silly hawk didn’t know he was 1/3 the size of the rooster. Reminded me of Foghorn Leghorn and the little chicken hawk. Good luck with yours! Sounds like you’re thinking of everything. 🙂

• Cindy June 3, 2013, 11:30 am

Thank you Eve, hope you get yours soon and enjoy!

• BeColorful June 3, 2013, 11:32 am

Chickens aren’t allowed in the city where I live but if they were, and I could have a chicken coop I would hope it could be as cute as yours. 😀 Thanks for sharing.
    p

• Cindy June 3, 2013, 11:32 am

Your so welcome Pam, we truly enjoy having our girls, don’t know why we waited so long to get them. Thanks again, hope you will stop by again soon!

• bethany June 3, 2013, 11:50 am

Looks so great! He did a wonderful job!

• Cindy June 3, 2013, 11:51 am

Thank you Bethany, I love how he painted it to match our home… Thanks so much for visiting, hope you stop by again!

• Jennifer June 3, 2013, 11:52 am

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking this up with the DIY Sunday Showcase! Jen @ PinkWhen

• Kathy September 11, 2013, 1:39 pm

I would love to have chickens! You do have to make coops that protect from critters below and flying critters and climbing critters! They look so happy wandering, though 🙂
    Great job to you two!
    I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

• Tammy February 2, 2014, 12:17 pm

Great transformation….Thank you again for sharing at One More Time Events:)

• Cindy February 2, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks Tammy, great party going on over there!

• Abby February 11, 2014, 10:18 am

How cute is that! What a smart idea to use a dog house, love it! Someday when I’m lucky enough to get out of the city I’ll have chickens and do something cute like this.

• 2andahalf-Acres.net - Nicole March 7, 2014, 5:59 pm

hahahahaha your pictures are tooo funny! My chickens LOVE catfood 😮 too

• Cindy March 7, 2014, 7:25 pm

:), thanks for visiting Nicole, glad you liked my photos!

• Nancherrow April 5, 2014, 8:17 am

Such a clever idea! I love how you made your chicken coop look so vintag-y and sweet. Hope those silly chickens appreciate it too! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison

• Cindy April 5, 2014, 9:00 am

Thank you Alison, Yes they love thier home, we painted thier house in the same colors as our home to match. I used an old window for thier door and we also used our old screen door for our entrance to the coop (which is not shown). Thanks for stopping by.

• Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick April 6, 2014, 6:39 pm

I LOVE the repurposed window/door on the coop and the outdoor roosts- very clever!
    Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!- I hope you’ll join us again next week!

Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

• Cindy April 6, 2014, 6:54 pm

Thanks Kathy, I would like to pin to your Pinning with the Peeps board, please let me know if/when I can.

Thanks Cindy

• Tracey April 6, 2014, 7:42 pm

Love this!!! Wonderful, creative, and it turned out great!

• Cindy April 6, 2014, 8:41 pm

Hi Tracey, thanks for leaving your sweet comment and thanks for visiting 😉

• Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple April 7, 2014, 7:42 am

Hey there! I found you on The Chicken Chick’s blog hop. I am hosting Mostly Homemade Mondays, and want to invite you over to link up! I think you would fit in with us perfectly 🙂 Join us: http://www.thesustainablecouple.com/2014/04/mostly-homemade-mondays-week-75.html

• Cindy April 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Hi Kelli, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the invite, I’ll be right over!

• Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple April 13, 2014, 9:50 pm