And Then There Was A Kitchen….

Entering the kitchen from dr

Whoa, Not so fast, It wasn’t that easy…Here are the before pictures;

Looking towards the dining room

kit triple

It had the same Hunter Green bead-board walls and ceiling as the Bathroom did, old (but not original) cheapo cabinets, one large window (where I needed a stove), one small window (without a view of the Gigantic Oak tree in the back), a chimney (where I needed a refrigerator). This all had to be changed. So, you guessed it , we gutted it and started over. The bead-board was again painstakingly removed, we replaced the windows and door, added more electrical outlets, re-worked the plumbing, insulated, and installed new drywall.

me, finishing the sheetrock

That’s me, finishing the drywall

removing the old chimney

This is Gary removing the last of the brick chimney.

outdoor kitchen

This was the temporary kitchen…

gotta love those red socks..hehe

Once it got too cold and the dining room walls enclosed, we moved the temporary kitchen into the dining room and I had to wash dishes in the bathtub, which was actually better than lugging the hot water, the dishes and the food out to the porch. Ok, here are the after pictures of the kitchen;

Tin Ceiling

Gary installed this awesome tin ceiling!

custom handstained floors

I custom hand stained this awesome wood floor!

Farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

Because we have nearly 12 foot ceilings, we went with 42 inch upper cabinets and added another 12 inch cabinet on top. And had this lower cabinet made to 18 inch depth instead of the standard 24 inch depth so we could get that bottom plinth block and trim reinstalled around the door way leading to the dining room.

Farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

I installed this backsplash which mimics the tin ceiling.

farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

I found this antique upper kitchen cabinet and refinished it using a crackle paint.

farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

We custom ordered this upper cabinet to accomodate the microwave oven and allow more counter space.

farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

I found this stained glass piece and installed it in place of the plain clear glass transom.

farmhouse kitchen via GlassSlipperRestorations.com

Gary designed this storage area above the pantry using the lower half of our old door.

Entering the kitchen from dr

And then….FINALLY there was a kitchen!!!

Would LOVE it if you would pin my photos and follow me!  Please visit these fine ladies!

Linking up with these Great Parties; Creations by Kara The Shabby Creek Cottage,  DIYbyDesign The DIY Dreamer LilLuna,  The 36th Avenue From my front porch to yours,  Lady behind the curtain Southern Lovely,  Funky Junk InteriorsSix Sisters Stuff,  French Country Cottage,  It’s OverflowingI Heart Nap TimeThe Farmhouse Porch Between Naps on the Porch,  Be Colorful,  Keeping it Simple,  Craft-o-Maniac DIY Show Off,  DIY Home Sweet Home Sugar Bee Crafts,  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia,  Home Stories A to Z A Bowl Full Of Lemons Knick of Time Interiors,  Primp Junktion,  Savvy Southern Style,  Common Ground-Do,  My Repurposed Life,  A Stroll Thru Life,  Chic on a Shoestring,  Nifty Thrifty Things,  Redoux Interiors,  Romantic Home,  Green Willow Pond,  Debbiedoos,  Three Mango Seeds,  The Vintage Farmhouse,  Beyond the Picket Fence,  Finding Fabulous,  The Dedicated House,  Ivy and Elephants,  A Delightsome Life The Cottage Market,  Pieced Pastimes, DIY Vintage Chic, LizMarieBlog, Cozy Little House, VMG 206, Nancherro, Coastal Charm, One More Time Events

Pieced Pastimes    The Dedicated House   Pieced Pastimes

• Nicole April 18, 2013, 8:06 am

This is beautiful! I love how you painted the trim and doors a different color! I am a new follower from southern charm! I hope you will come by and check my blog out and hopefully want to follow me back! Have a great day, Nicole!

• Cindy April 18, 2013, 8:48 am

Thanks Nicole, I wanted to bring the outdoors in, I feel so comfortable in there,I could just hang out all day.

• Diane MacNaughtan April 18, 2013, 8:29 am

What a beautiful kitchen renovation!

~Diane

• Cindy April 18, 2013, 9:05 am

Thanks, Diane, I am so proud of it!

• Karen April 19, 2013, 9:42 am

I love your summer kitchen but I love your new indoor kitchen more! It is a lovely restoration that suits the original era in which the house was built but is also completely modern. Loves…

• Cindy April 19, 2013, 4:12 pm

Thank You Karen for lovin my kitchens, whenI look back to those days of cooking on the old front porch, I know that memory will stay with me forever…

• Carol April 19, 2013, 7:57 pm

Wow, what an amazing transformation — absolutely gorgeous! Please do tell, what is the cupboard/ doorway above your pantry?

• Cindy April 20, 2013, 1:18 am

Hey Carol,Thanks so much for visiting,commenting and the question, your question inspired me to write a new post. Please check it out….”Show and Tell”

• Vickie April 20, 2013, 8:36 pm

Fabulous transformation!! I love your cabinets, beadboard, transom window, and the view of the old oak tree. Wonderful old house!

Visiting from FJI.

• Cindy April 20, 2013, 10:18 pm

Your making me blush Vickie, ;D, Thank you so much! Glad you visited my site, you are welcome anytime.

• Krista thehappyhousie April 20, 2013, 10:55 pm

Beautiful! Love the tin backsplash. Looks like a fun DIY:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie

• Cindy April 20, 2013, 11:24 pm

Well Krista, this was a fun project, It took me awhile to fiqure out how to cut this to fit tightly around all of the trim and windowsills. Actually this is made of a plastic material (made to look like tin). It cuts easily and sticks on with construction adhesive. I had to make patterns out of paper, then trace and cut to fit each 18″x24″ panel. Thanks for visiting and the nice comment!

• Carol Cook April 23, 2013, 1:06 am

I love the glass door out to your deck and the beautiful stained glass above it.

• Cindy April 23, 2013, 10:45 am

Hello Carol, Thank You, we had the door custom made to open “out” instead of inward, like normal to avoid it opening into the small kitchen (better traffic flow). I found the stained glass piece at a local antique shop, and I was thrilled that it was the perfect size to replace the clear glass which came with the door. I only had to install some trim and seal it in place. Again, thanks for lovin’ my door :D.

• laura@Top This Top That April 26, 2013, 11:28 am

what a beautiful kitchen. Love those floors. Bravo !

• Cindy April 26, 2013, 10:34 pm

Hi Laura, Thanks so much for stopping by,The Kitchen floor was a fun project for me, glad you enjoy it as much as I. I checked out photos of your home, just Beautiful!

• Marty@A Stroll Thru Life May 1, 2013, 9:19 am

Amazing. What a fabulous renovation. I love your new kitchen. I would love for you to link up to my ongoing party Inspire Me.
    Great job and definitely inspiring. Hugs, marty

• Cindy May 1, 2013, 9:48 am

Thanks so much, Marty, just linked up to your party, thanks for hosting!

• BeColorful June 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Wow wow wow. Love the trim color and that you stayed true to an old house but made it more current. I am crazy for the floor treatment as well. Nicely done. So glad you shared this on BeColorful. Sorry for being so long in stopping by to comment.

• Cindy June 3, 2013, 11:32 am

Thank you Pam, I love using color in my home to provide a feeling, the colors in my kitchen make me feel comfy. The floor project was so much fun for me, glad you enjoy it!

• Jennifer June 3, 2013, 11:52 am

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking this up with the DIY Sunday Showcase! Jen @ PinkWhen

• FABBY July 13, 2013, 1:16 pm

WOW! You guys are so talented..congrats for the gorgeous kitchen you created! I specially am in awe, of the tin ceiling and back splash..amazing! What can I say about the floor design you created? FABULOUS too! Thanks for sharing. Hope you come by, I also have a kitchen posted, lol! I was looking for your follow link, but didn’t see it!
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

• Cindy July 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Hello Fabby, Thanks for the wonderful comment, I did visit you and your kitchen is also FABULOUS! Sorry you missed the follow button in the lower right corner of the post,hope you will visit again and check out the about page, there you can follow by email,facebook,etc.

• Shelia July 14, 2013, 7:17 pm

Oh, the kitchen is truly gorgeous!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

• barbe July 15, 2013, 9:13 am

You and gary have done a beautiful job on all of your property. We are very happy for you and also proud of your expertise! Uncle Johnny and Aunt Barbara

• Cindy July 15, 2013, 10:56 am

Thanks so much for your support throughout the years! Love y’all!

• Dawna September 6, 2013, 9:07 am

Just found your blog! Love old houses and will be sure to follow along with all your great progress!

• Cindy September 6, 2013, 9:42 am

Dawna, please share how you found me…so glad you will follow along! Thank you for visiting, I shared the visit and Love your latest post, I shared it on my facebook page, it brought tears to my eyes….

• Cindy September 19, 2013, 12:37 pm

Wow! Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! I love the beadboard and the tin ceiling and backsplash especially. You have a very pretty house.

• Cindy September 19, 2013, 4:27 pm

Thank you Cindy, so glad you stopped by for a visit, it’s been a lot of work but so worth it! Hope you will visit again soon

• Marie@The Interior Frugalista February 7, 2014, 11:01 am

Wowee, what a difference – you guys are freak’n amazing DIYers.! I love the tin ceiling and backsplash and that stained glass transom window – gorgeous! So glad I found your beautiful kitchen makeover at the Junkin Joe Party.

• Cindy February 7, 2014, 11:20 am

Thank YOU Marie. That’s Awesome, so glad you visited. Makein’ my day. 🙂

• Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse February 8, 2014, 9:49 pm

Cindy, you guys did an amazing job!! Perfection! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features on Monday at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your pettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

• Cindy February 9, 2014, 11:40 am

This is awesome news Kathryn, thank you so much. I will be sure to stop by and share more with you!

• Shelia February 10, 2014, 8:45 am

Hi Cindy! I’m popping over from The Dedicated House after I saw your kitchen featured! Oh, my! It looks marvelous! I love everything y’all have done to it. The floor is most outstanding and your farm sink and those glass front cabinets. Hope you don’t have to cook in it and mess it up! 🙂
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

• Cindy February 10, 2014, 4:52 pm

Hi Shelia, Thanks for popping over, oh but I do Love to cook in this kitchen! The colors feel so comfortable, I could just spend all day in there! Luckily my hubs helps me with the clean up, he’s a sweetie!
      and your a sweetie too,
      thanks again, Cindy

• fabby February 10, 2014, 8:52 am

Hi Cindy!
    Your gorgeous kitchen is featured in Make it Pretty Mon. and I came running to see the tin ceiling your hubby placed and the back splash…it is FABULOUS!!! I also love the floor you did…my goodness, I¿m impressed at the talent you both have. ! Congrats, it’s terrific!!!

• Cindy February 10, 2014, 5:00 pm

Thanks Fabby, Love that you ran over ;). What a sweet comment…hope you will stop by again soon.

• Judy February 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Hi Cindy. I came across you at The Dedicated House. I love your kitchen and when I came to your site, I find that your house is a lot like mine, at least from the outside. We redid the kitchen awhile back but didn’t take out the brick chimney. I kind of regret it because it was hard to work around. I couldn’t find the regular way to follow you as I’m not the savviest about technology but have signed up to be notified by e-mail when you put a new post out. I’d love for you to stop by the Cottage and we can compare notes..Happy Monday..Judy

• Cindy February 10, 2014, 5:10 pm

Hi Judy, so glad you found me and I love that you are following! I hated that we had to remove the original chimney, but we needed the space for the fridge and we bought a counter depth fridge to have a little more room as well. Works out nice and we will use the bricks for a walkway in the front of the house. I will visit you soon and return the follow so we can chat about our homes 🙂 Thanks

• Sharon @ Faith Hope & Cherrytea February 10, 2014, 7:56 pm

love the glass fronted cabinetry – keeps the eye seeing through from closing in on the room. Well Done!
    TY for sharing =)

• Cindy February 10, 2014, 10:58 pm

Thanks for the visit Sharon and your sweet comment! 🙂

• Marty@A Stroll Thru Life February 15, 2014, 8:10 am

Oh my goodness, your kitchen is totally amazing. I love it. What a fabulous place you’ve created. Hugs, Marty

• Cindy February 16, 2014, 11:54 pm

Thank You Marty, glad that you love my kitchen, thanks for visiting again!

🙂

• bj March 11, 2014, 7:42 pm

A beautiful kitchen….enjoy it. 🙂

• Nancherrow March 14, 2014, 3:32 pm

So glad you linked up your gorgeous kitchen reno to Fridays Unfolded!

Alison

• Victoria Eubanks November 22, 2014, 10:22 am

Your kitchen remodel is absolutely stunning! My house was built in 1873, and the kitchen added around 1900. It hasn’t had a remodel since the 70’s, when they dropped the ceiling and added horrible linoleum. I love how true to the Victorian period you stayed. I also love the green you chose for your doors and trim-would you mind sharing details about it, such as color name, manufacturer, etc.? Thank you.

• Cindy January 11, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hi Victoria, thank you so much for your lovely comment! 1873, that is awesome! Don’t you hate how we all seem to fall for trends at some time or another. It can be quite scarey and hillarious when we look back at the hairstyles and crazy clothing of our youth. Dropped ceilings and linoleum, what were they thinking? haha! I’m glad you like the green in my kitchen, although it could be mistaken for avocado green, and it was painted a hunter green when we found it. The color is actually a two part, sorta custom color. I first painted using Ralph Lauren’s “tenaya green” but then went over it with a brown antiqueing glaze, which I then wiped some off with clean cheesecloth. Recently I tried to find that glaze and had no luck, only found clear glaze with no tints or colors. So I tried to copy it using a brown stain which was watered down. I painted it on top of the green and then immediately wiped it off with a cloth, leaving some here and there to give the same look. This color feels very comfortable to me, it feels natural and I just love to be in the kitchen all day! Good luck with your kitchen! Thank you for visiting!