≡ Menu

A “Must tell” Story about the Bathroom…..

Custom Handpainted Bath Floor

 The complete floor was removed and replaced with new, but I distressed the new flooring with a hammer, chains and an awl (crazy? no I think not, it had to look more like the original) then I decided to paint the floor (made of yellow pine, not oak). I wanted it to have a design, something classic, something french inspired, so I came up with this harlequin pattern with the blue, grey and black color. I thought it would make the room feel larger and special.

The bathroom, dark, creepy and smelly as it was, it did have all of the original bead-board ceiling and walls, claw-foot tub and trim (5 1/2″ wide door casing, plinth blocks, rosette corner blocks, and 9 1/2″ tall baseboard) very  cool, love, love, love…

vintage wood trim a must

I knew I had to restore and use all of them, I also wanted to keep the floors if we could, but unfortunately, they were rotten. We gutted everything because there was no insulation, not  enough electrical outlets and we wanted to rearrange the plumbing fixtures. Our home has a post and beam foundation and sits at least three feet above ground and because we ripped the rotten floor out, relocating the plumbing fixtures was easy enough to do. Painstakingly I removed all of the trim and bead-board taking care to keep the tongue and grooves for reuse, luckily it was a successful job. :) Then we redesigned the floor layout, electrical and plumbing.

Bathroom Floor Layout Redesigned

Bathroom Floor Layout Redesigned

 We decided to take some space from underneath the hallway stairs and make an area for the toilet, which made the flow in the bathroom better

I also choose white for all the walls, ceiling and trim for the ” larger”  effect. I decided on two different wall paper designs, a classic blue and cream “french toile” and a classic tone on tone damask  print in shades of grey. I special ordered the matching sink and toilet, and the faucets, shower assembly, toilet hardware and towel racks from Lowes and I bought the lighting and the exhaust fan from Home Depot.

Then we had to painstakingly strip all the trim and bead-board  (thankfully, I had help with this, Melanie, I could not have completed this on my own) and Steve, you are the greatest! Gary (my wonderful husband) wired and insulated the room and helped Steve with the plumbing. The drywall went in and I finished the walls and installed the wallpaper.  The bead-board was re-installed vertically, originally installed horizontaly. Steve added the custom trim and shelving around the tub area. I sanded, primed and painted everything! After sanding and priming the floor, I measured and drew the design using a pencil and a yardstick then painted two coats and applied three coats of polyurethane. We installed the lights, fan and mirror, next the tub, toilet, water heater and sink went in, then finally toilet paper and towel holders, and Voila!!! Pheww! I’m exhausted just writing about all of this! In case you missed the previous post, please check it out for more detailed photos.

Sharing with these sweet ladies;

The Dedicated House

Ivy and Elephants

Time Washed

From my Front Porch to Yours

Jann Olson

A Delightsome Life

The Cottage Market

DIY Vintage Chic

Pieced Pastimes

MinettesMaze

A Stroll Thru Life

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Cozy Little House

Between Naps on the Porch

Coastal Charm

Savvy Southern Stlye

French Country Cottage

One More Time Events

Knick of  Time Interiors

Green Willow Pond

My Romantic Home

My Repurposed Life

Common Ground

Nancherrow

Not Just A Housewife

The Shabby Nest

Redoux Interiors

  • Jann Olson January 31, 2014, 10:57 pm

    Restoring an old home is really a big job. But what character they have! Love all of the wood trim. 9 1/2 is awesome! I put larger baseboards in our recently finished basement and I love it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    • Cindy February 1, 2014, 11:12 am

      Yes, I feel connected to his old house, it has my blood sweat and tears no doubt! 😉

  • Shelley February 1, 2014, 7:31 am

    Love it! That’s awesome you were able to keep the beadboard and trim. What brand of poly did you use on the floors? I’m getting ready to do something similar in my living room. The floor is already painted so I figure what the heck? The kids rooms are painted too but they have scratches. How is your floor holding up? I’m thinking I didn’t put enough poly on their floors.

    • Cindy February 1, 2014, 2:42 pm

      Hi Shelly, to tell the truth I do not remember the brand, it may have been Min-Wax for floors. I did the floor 10 years ago but this is a recent photo. We do not have children living at home. It is just us two and our only restroom. We don’t have pets in the house. There is not a subfloor so over the years the heat and cold make the wood expand and contract so the boards seperate and have caused some paint breaks but I just call it our favorite word “character”. It’s an old house, it looks like an old house. Haha! I would do a little research and buy the best you can afford and apply at least three coats. Have Fun! 😉 Here is a great blog I follow,http://www.younghouselove.com/2013/10/operation-stencil-the-subfloor/. Check out the beautiful floor they stenciled. They used Safecoat Acrylacq.

  • Deborah February 14, 2014, 11:30 pm

    I’m tired just reading this! The floors look great. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend! ~Deborah

  • Nancherrow February 27, 2014, 6:28 pm

    So much work, but absolutely worth the effort for that floor! Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    • Cindy February 27, 2014, 8:37 pm

      Sure Alison, shared at your party! Thanks for dropping by!

Leave a Comment

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers:

%d bloggers like this: